Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Index rebuild grows database size (Oracle 10.2.0.4,Linux)
Index rebuild grows database size [message #481008] Fri, 29 October 2010 02:41 Go to next message
preet_kumar
Our database size is 100GB and i removed few records from a table and rebuild the index.The size of Index reduced considerably after Index rebuild but now i see our database size increased to 115GB.I know online rebuild creates second index which is also removed after the build is finished then why the increase in database size?Is there a way so it shows up more space ?

select sum(bytes) from dba_segments where owner='abc' and segment_name='abc_index_1';
8GB

ALTER INDEX abc_index_1 REBUILD ONLINE ;

select sum(bytes) from dba_segments where owner='abc' and segment_name='abc_index_1';
2GB
Re: Index rebuild grows database size [message #481011 is a reply to message #481008] Fri, 29 October 2010 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
You have to show us what you did and saw, using SQL*Plus.
Before, Please read OraFAQ Forum Guide, especially "How to format your post?" section.
Make sure that lines of code do not exceed 80 characters when you format.
Indent the code, use code tags and align the columns in result.
Use the "Preview Message" button to verify.

Regards
Michel
Re: Index rebuild grows database size [message #481015 is a reply to message #481011] Fri, 29 October 2010 03:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
It really is necessary to show exactly what you did. For instance, the queries you gave assume that the abc.abc_index_1 segment is named in lower case. This is highly unlikely, so I know that you have probably not told the truth. Therefore I cannot place any reliance on anything else. For example, you say the database size increased. Did it? I don't know, perhaps you are mis-interpreting something.
I know that some forum users get dis-heartened when a question is, in effect, rejected. But it is sometimes impossible to assist without better information
Re: Index rebuild grows database size [message #481044 is a reply to message #481015] Fri, 29 October 2010 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
preet_kumar
Sorry that i did not paste the exact sql as the index name specified one of our organization name.
To make things more clear
After the rebuild of an Index i see the size of Index from dba_segments gone down from 8GB to 2GB whereas the database size increased.
My only question is why does the datafile grows after the index rebuild ?
Re: Index rebuild grows database size [message #481045 is a reply to message #481044] Fri, 29 October 2010 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
I don't know what you have.
I don't know what you do.
I don't know what you see.
It is really, Really, REALLY difficult to fix a problem that can not be seen.
use COPY & PASTE so we can see what you do & how Oracle responds.

It would be helpful if you followed Posting Guidelines - http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/88153/0/
Re: Index rebuild grows database size [message #481046 is a reply to message #481044] Fri, 29 October 2010 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
My only question is why does the datafile grows after the index rebuild ?

No, it does not, now prove me I am wrong.

Regards
Michel
Re: Index rebuild grows database size [message #481110 is a reply to message #481008] Sat, 30 October 2010 22:59 Go to previous message
ebrian
What do you mean by database size? The "database size" could have grown due to TEMP space usage during the index rebuild. Maybe your UNDO has grown. Does the "database size" take into account free space?

As others have said...too many unknowns.
Previous Topic: disabled triggers and constraints
Next Topic: Rebuilding of Index (2 merged)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jun 05 06:35:31 CDT 2024