Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Multi Databases (Oracle 10g)
Multi Databases [message #606765] Wed, 29 January 2014 03:15 Go to next message
m.abdulhaq
Dear Experts,

We have two companies located at two countries, using two different databases with same objects with some additional objects created at two different locations , now the question is how we can integrate this two different databases together in one server and keep in one country after this people from both the locations can connect to it and start working .Please advice me by giving the steps , first what type of installation to be done.whether i should go for db link.I have asked this query to several people but i didnt get any satisfastory response, i hope my query is answered with proper steps.
Re: Multi Databases [message #606766 is a reply to message #606765] Wed, 29 January 2014 03:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

There are many ways depending on many things.
3 ways I'm currently thinking (but there should be others) in increasing difficulties:
  • You can export your schemas in one database and import them into the other databases, changing (remapping) the account for the owner of the objects.
  • You can merge both owner schemas and use views to access them.
  • You can merge both owner schemas and use VPD (Virtual Private Database) to access them.

Re: Multi Databases [message #606769 is a reply to message #606766] Wed, 29 January 2014 03:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
m.abdulhaq
thanks michel , but can i get more details on each of the three.

Quote:

•You can export your schemas in one database and import them into the other databases, changing (remapping) the account for the owner of the objects.
•You can merge both owner schemas and use views to access them.
•You can merge both owner schemas and use VPD (Virtual Private Database) to access them.

i think first option is to create one server / one database and import these two databases into that is it.
What do you mean by using view , i think this will not work as the users will be inputting data from both sides of country.
Can you put more light on VPD.
Re: Multi Databases [message #606770 is a reply to message #606769] Wed, 29 January 2014 03:59 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Quote:
i think first option is to create one server / one database and import these two databases into that is it.

You can import into 1 schema or 2 schemas.

Quote:
What do you mean by using view , i think this will not work as the users will be inputting data from both sides of country.

Something like
create view v as select * from t where something_in_the_table = some_value_that_describes_from_where_the_user_come
This in the case you import in a single schema.
It works if you can distinguish the user data target from the data itself or the environment (for instance applications server IP, network IP range, PC name, account name...).

Quote:
Can you put more light on VPD.

Please FIRST search in the documentation.

Previous Topic: Data missing
Next Topic: upgrade from 10g to 11g, startup upgrade error: LRM-00101: unknown parameter name 'diagnostic_dest';
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:41:43 CDT 2024