Home » Other » Training & Certification » Use Oracle Documentation for OCP Prep?
Use Oracle Documentation for OCP Prep? [message #650049] Wed, 13 April 2016 09:18 Go to next message
ChuckHennet
First off, I have tons of respect for people like Matt Morris who spend so much time helping others learn Oracle. Kudos.

But I'm wondering if it wouldn't be possible to prepare for the OCP tests simply by using the Oracle documentation from docs.oracle.com?

For instance, it would seem that everything you need to know for 1Z0-061 should be in the Database SQL Language Reference for 12c.

Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks,

Chuck
Re: Use Oracle Documentation for OCP Prep? [message #650051 is a reply to message #650049] Wed, 13 April 2016 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

If the exam was just about valid syntax it'd be completely meaningless.
So, in this specific case, no it is not just that.
However, some other exams can be passed just knowing the documentation without any experience.

Re: Use Oracle Documentation for OCP Prep? [message #650053 is a reply to message #650051] Wed, 13 April 2016 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ChuckHennet
The SQL Reference appears to have more information than syntax. For instance see this section on joins:

https://docs.oracle.com/database/121/SQLRF/queries006.htm#SQLRF30046

And that page links to some examples:

https://docs.oracle.com/database/121/SQLRF/statements_10002.htm#i2066611

I have 15+ years experience as an Oracle DBA. So I thought by reviewing the Oracle docs, which are free, I could prep fairly well for the tests. Maybe I'm wrong.

I'm leaning toward the suggestion seen here that the best prep may be sitting for the exam itself.

Thanks,

Chuck

Re: Use Oracle Documentation for OCP Prep? [message #650056 is a reply to message #650053] Wed, 13 April 2016 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Yes, there is a bit more than the syntax, I was just caricatured the point to make understand.
But if you have 15 years as DBA you won't have any problem to pass the SQL exam, even without reading the SQL Reference (you should have referred to anyway during all these years)... unless you only used a GUI to make your tasks...

Re: Use Oracle Documentation for OCP Prep? [message #650058 is a reply to message #650056] Wed, 13 April 2016 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ChuckHennet
Good info. Thanks. Just trying to be prepared.
Re: Use Oracle Documentation for OCP Prep? [message #650060 is a reply to message #650049] Wed, 13 April 2016 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
matthewmorris68

Quote:
First off, I have tons of respect for people like Matt Morris who spend so much time helping others learn Oracle. Kudos.

Thank you.

Quote:
But I'm wondering if it wouldn't be possible to prepare for the OCP tests simply by using the Oracle documentation from docs.oracle.com?

Certainly it's possible. To a significant degree, that's what *I* do. That said, I don't restrict myself to the docs. There are Oracle white papers, articles by people like Tim Hall of Oracle-Base, and other sources that you can also use to learn the material. Mind you -- actually practicing the material on a test database is also important. The links on my Oracle Certification Prep website for each exam are in large part the materials I used when researching for the associated study guide.

I would never tell anyone that it is a requirement that they use my books to pass the exams -- or anyone else's book for that matter. I would hope that my study guides make it easier for candidates to pass the exams as well as reducing the time they must spend studying because I have gathered together much of the information they need to become familiar with. Also, without some outside source, it's not always easy to determine what the Oracle test development team means by their topics. 1Z0-061 is more straightforward than most, but you might wonder exactly what they mean by topics like "Explain the table structure" or "Describe how schema objects work". Seriously... what were they smoking when they made up those topics?

My goal (and hope) is that the materials I create add enough value in making the study process faster, easier, and more likely to be successful that candidates feel it was worth the price of purchasing one of my study guides (or practice tests or flash card apps).

Before I started creating my series, I generally bought one of the books from Oracle Press. I always felt that my time was valuable enough that the hours this saved me in studying for the exam was well worth the cost.
Re: Use Oracle Documentation for OCP Prep? [message #650082 is a reply to message #650053] Thu, 14 April 2016 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Quote:
But if you have 15 years as DBA you won't have any problem to pass the SQL exam, even without reading the SQL Reference

Be careful! An ex-colleague of mine (I won't name him - he still works for Oracle Corp, based fairly close to the person who owns this website) thought "I'm a DBA - I don't need to study this SQL stuff". He failed the SQL exam 3 times. That was a shocking. He was a team leader for Oracle Support. Perhaps he wasn't as good a DBA as he likes to think he is. You do need to study - just go through the course topics, and make sure you could answer half a dozen questions on each.
Re: Use Oracle Documentation for OCP Prep? [message #650085 is a reply to message #650082] Thu, 14 April 2016 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Quote:
Perhaps he wasn't as good a DBA as he likes to think he is.

Sure, a DBA who does not know SQL can't even be named a DBA. Smile

Re: Use Oracle Documentation for OCP Prep? [message #650087 is a reply to message #650085] Thu, 14 April 2016 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
The Oracle world is full of hackers who call themselves "DBA". I know - I used to be one. All those people who say "I'm a great DBA - I've administered this DB for years, no problems" when all they've done is watch Oracle administering itself.

The database is so fantastically intelligent and reliable that you can do that. That is why it it is so expensive, and why people will pay so much.
Re: Use Oracle Documentation for OCP Prep? [message #650088 is a reply to message #650087] Thu, 14 April 2016 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
@ChuckHennet I just realized my previous post could be read as criticizing you - it wasn't meant to be. I really believe that an experienced DBA who plan to go through the certification is the real thing.
--
John Watson
Oracle Certified Master DBA Smile
Re: Use Oracle Documentation for OCP Prep? [message #650089 is a reply to message #650082] Thu, 14 April 2016 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
matthewmorris68

Quote:
An ex-colleague of mine...

It's very unlikely to be the same person, but the picture you painted reminded me very much of a former Oracle co-worker (I worked at Oracle for 11 1/2 years). Smile

As you say... it is possible to have many years of experience as an Oracle DBA without learning all of the things a DBA should know. In terms of this particular exam, using tools like Enterprise Manager, SQL*Developer, Toad, and others... it is now possible for a DBA to perform the vast majority of the most common database tasks using very little manually-inputted SQL. As with John's disclaimer, this isn't directed at the OP, but more as a cautionary tale about making assumptions based only on 'years of experience'.
Re: Use Oracle Documentation for OCP Prep? [message #650090 is a reply to message #650089] Thu, 14 April 2016 13:15 Go to previous message
ChuckHennet
No offense taken. I have only done SYSTEM DBA work, which I think may be a slight disadvantage for the SQL exam. We don't use OEM or any other GUI tools, but we do handle a rather limited subset of Oracle, I would admit. But I think with some study I can manage it. Thanks! Wink
Previous Topic: Middle East Oracle User Group MEOUG MAJLIS 2016 Annual Conference in Dubai
Next Topic: 1Z0-068 sample question
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:53:12 CDT 2024