Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » natural join change table
natural join change table [message #660267] Mon, 13 February 2017 20:24 Go to next message
asliyanage
when i am using natural join with two table i can change the table position as below.

1) select *
from DEPARTMENTS natural join locations;

2)select *
from locations natural join DEPARTMENTS;

I need to know is there any differences between above two times?
natural join [message #660268 is a reply to message #660267] Mon, 13 February 2017 20:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
asliyanage
when we use natural join we can't use the join column in select clause as below.

1)select l.location_id,postal_code,state_province,city
from locations l natural join departments;

But we can use location_id column as below

2)select LOCATION_ID,postal_code,state_province,CITY
from locations l natural join departments;

I need to know what is the different between 1 and 2. both use location_id column.
Re: natural join change table [message #660269 is a reply to message #660267] Mon, 13 February 2017 20:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
asliyanage wrote on Mon, 13 February 2017 18:24
when i am using natural join with two table i can change the table position as below.

1) select *
from DEPARTMENTS natural join locations;

2)select *
from locations natural join DEPARTMENTS;

I need to know is there any differences between above two times?
what prevents you from issuing both statements & inspecting the results?
post EXPLAIN PLAN from both statements.

Just because you can do something (use NATURAL JOIN) , it does not means that you actually should ever do it.
You can also poke yourself in the eye with a sharp pencil, but you are advise to never do either action.
Re: natural join change table [message #660271 is a reply to message #660267] Tue, 14 February 2017 00:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Please read OraFAQ Forum Guide.

You did NEVER feedback and thank people who helped you, why?
Review your previous topics and do it now.

Re: natural join change table [message #660272 is a reply to message #660271] Tue, 14 February 2017 01:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
asliyanage
my problem still exists. I didn't get proper answer yet.
Re: natural join change table [message #660277 is a reply to message #660272] Tue, 14 February 2017 01:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

FIRST review your previous topics and feedback and thank people who spent time to help you instead of demanding help, we owe you nothing, yet.

Re: natural join change table [message #660289 is a reply to message #660277] Tue, 14 February 2017 03:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
They are the same. The only join type where the table order makes a difference is LEFT and RIGHT OUTER JOIN.

That said - never, ever use natural join. It's one of the dumbest things ever added to SQL.

Try adding a time_updated column to both tables and see what happens.
Re: natural join change table [message #660320 is a reply to message #660289] Tue, 14 February 2017 15:41 Go to previous message
Bill B
I am agreeing with cookiemonster. NO developer would ever use a NATURAL JOIN in any production code. It is guaranteed that It will cause a problem in the future. If I had a developer that used a natural join in anything but an adhoc query, the first time would be a warning, the second time would be a termination.

If there was a database setting that I could set to stop them from working I would immediatly turn it on. Lets take an example. We have 2 tables with the following structure

table1(col1, col2,col3)
table2(col1,col4,col5)

A natural join would join them only on col1. Now I need a new column in table1 and I decided that I wanted to call it col4 my natural join immediatly fails. If I had a normal join nothing breaks. NEVER USE NATURAL JOINS.
Previous Topic: REGEXP to find the comma position
Next Topic: Problem while using AUTHID CURRENT_USER
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 07:55:09 CDT 2024