Home » Other » Community Hangout » Total eclipse of the moon
Total eclipse of the moon [message #668012] Tue, 30 January 2018 12:02 Go to next message
John Watson
All you guys in America, West coast particularly, should see the most spectacular lunar eclipse of the century tomorrow. Totality is 12:51 Zulu. We don't get to see in Europe Sad

[Updated on: Tue, 30 January 2018 12:03]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Total eclipse of the moon [message #668013 is a reply to message #668012] Tue, 30 January 2018 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
Yes! Thanks for the reminder. It isn't just a total lunar eclipse, also known as a blood moon. It is also the second full moon in a calendar month, known as a blue moon. It is also when the moon is at its closest point to earth and therefore appears to be 14 percent bigger and 30 percent brighter than normal, known as a super moon. The combination of all three is being called a super blood blue moon. Locally, it is expected as listed below.

Total Lunar Eclipse:
Begins: Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 2:51 am
Maximum: Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 5:29 am 1.32 Magnitude
Ends: Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 6:52 am
Duration: 4 hours, 1 minute

I have set my morning alarm for 5:00 a.m. Hopefully, when it goes off, I will remember why. The current local weather forecast predicts clear skies and 53 degrees farenheit, so visibility should be good and I should be comfortable standing outside, looking at the sky, probably with the neighbor's dogs barking at me. I don't expect to see any other neighbors out and about that time of morning. Most of us are usually outdoors around 7:00 a.m. For those of you who don't get to see it live, I am sure there will be plenty of professional photographs on the internet afterwards.

[Updated on: Tue, 30 January 2018 15:08]

Re: Total eclipse of the moon [message #668014 is a reply to message #668013] Tue, 30 January 2018 18:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
Moonset is at 5:56AM in San Diego
I should have a great view of the moon descending into the Pacific.
Re: Total eclipse of the moon [message #668016 is a reply to message #668014] Wed, 31 January 2018 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
BB

I have set my morning alarm for 5:00 a.m. Hopefully, when it goes off, I will remember why.

LOL!

Mom: Your great aunt just passed away. LOL
David: Why is that funny?
Mom: It's not funny David! Wht do you mean?
David: Mom lol means laughing out loud!
Mom: Ohmy goodness!! I sent that to everyone I thought it meant lots of love. I have tocall everyone back oh god
Re: Total eclipse of the moon [message #668020 is a reply to message #668014] Wed, 31 January 2018 03:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
BlackSwan wrote on Wed, 31 January 2018 00:41
Moonset is at 5:56AM in San Diego
I should have a great view of the moon descending into the Pacific.
Like, wow! I hope you were sitting on the beach, wearing a kaftan, and chanting "om mani padme hum". This is not fair! Why can't all DBAs live in SoCal?
Re: Total eclipse of the moon [message #668022 is a reply to message #668020] Wed, 31 January 2018 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
I find the eclipse to be duly underwhelming.

The solar eclipse last August was MUCH more impressive.
Re: Total eclipse of the moon [message #668024 is a reply to message #668020] Wed, 31 January 2018 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gazzag
John Watson wrote on Wed, 31 January 2018 09:59
Like, wow! I hope you were sitting on the beach, wearing a kaftan, and chanting "om mani padme hum".
Laughing

A hippy isn't the first thing that comes to mind when I think of BlackSwan Very Happy

[Updated on: Wed, 31 January 2018 08:52]

Re: Total eclipse of the moon [message #668026 is a reply to message #668012] Wed, 31 January 2018 10:06 Go to previous message
Barbara Boehmer
I got up and dressed and tiptoed outside quietly just in time to see the total eclipse. My house is on the east side of a north/south street, so I just needed to step outside, move out from behind the tree in the middle of my front yard, and look to the west and slightly north. The sky was clear, no clouds, just moon and stars. Although we do not have street lights on our local neighborhood residential streets, there was a lot of light from various porch lights and security lights and surrounding city lights and such. I could clearly see the whole moon, but it was all brown, no white. I could not see any reddish ring around it with just the naked eye.

I stood in the front yard for a while and watched as a pale sliver of white crescent gradually developed along the lower left portion of the moon. I decided to sit in one of the plastic patio chairs under the front porch. From there I have to look through the elm tree, but it has lost most of its leaves, so I could still the moon clearly as the crescent sliver gradually got larger and brighter. It was about then that one of the German Shepherd dogs in the front yard to the north began barking. Although I was bundled up in a hooded sweatshirt and sweatpants and such, it is still chilling when you are sitting still and it was obviously going to take a while to see any more changes, so I decided to start doing my usual chores indoors and check outside periodically.

As I checked outside periodically, the crescent sliver gradually got larger and brighter and shifted to the upper left area of the moon. I noticed a helicopter and several airplanes fly by. I don't usually look up at the sky at that time of morning, so I don't know if that was an unusual number and perhaps some where there to view the eclipse. I wonder what it looks like from up there. I live near an international airport, a municipal airport, and a military air base, so we do get a lot of air traffic. I sometimes go to FlightRadar24.com to identify what is passing by overhead.

Althought my house is uphill from the house across the street, by about 6:30 a.m. I could no longer see the moon above their house and trees. It was also between dawn and sunrise, so I could no longer see any stars either.

It was certainly worth viewing conveniently from my front yard. I probably could have gotten a much better view if I had driven out to the dessert to avoid city lights and buildings and trees and such, but I usually don't consider such things worth doing that. I envy BlackSwan's view from the beach. However, I am sure there will be plenty of excellent pictures on the internet.

[Updated on: Wed, 31 January 2018 10:11]

Previous Topic: Integer Overflow - Michel Cadot
Next Topic: Stephen Hawking
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 06:05:33 CDT 2024